The power of storytelling
People have been telling stories for thousands of years and still stories have a powerful effect on peoples’ hearts and minds. But how does storytelling work?
„Storytelling is not about language, it’s about telling and creating stories in a compelling way. It’s about finding the right metaphors, and above all the structure in which to tell a story. In doing so, the storyteller (re)creates a part of life and generates a story that is easily remembered and unique to that particular brand”, states columnist Guido Everaert.
By using storytelling in your (social media) communication, you can make use of the many advantages that stories have:
- They activate many more regions in the brain than normal information
- They give more meaning and sense
- They involve the reader and let him empathize
- They build a connection
- They evoke emotions
- They entertain
- They remain in the memory longer than simple facts
- They continue to have an effect on the reader and can motivate them
- They will be shared and retold more frequently than facts and figures.
Stories are the emotional glue that binds people to your company. Therefore, it is important that your website provides a clear idea of what your guest will experience in your property. Does your website open the door for daydreaming? If not, it is time to start telling your story. The “About us” page is one of the most visited pages of each website. But what happens after potential guests land on this page? By telling a story you can hold visitors’ attention and turn them into leads. The more potential guests can picture themselves staying in your hotel, the higher the chance that they will enter a booking. The following seven storytelling techniques will help you to create a better story.
1. Be authentic
Your story needs to be authentic to be seen as valuable content. Telling an impressive story that has no connection will destroy credibility right from the start. Do not pretend to be anyone else besides 100% you. Try to speak in a way that is true to your hotel and your ideal guests. Naturalness gives your story a strong appeal.
2. Know your audience
In order to ensure engagement, you need to speak to the right audience, in the right place at the right time. Keep your audience’s perspective in mind and work what is interesting to them into the storyline. Simplify your message and choose your words carefully.
3. Control your pacing If you tell your story too fast, your audience will not be able to keep up. By telling it too slowly they will lose their interest. According to the tension of the story, you may speed up and slow down as long as the audience keeps following you.
4. Focus on people
In storytelling people are key. Real stories about employees and first hand experiences of guests work well for marketing. The more people can identify with characters and relate to your story the better it will perform. Figures can be persuasive, but stories connect people with brands.
5. Make the story visual Bring your story to life by incorporating all of the five senses throughout your story. Include visuals, such as photos, graphs, videos and infographics to make your story interesting. Try to find the best medium for your story and find out what medium your target audience prefers. Go out of your comfort zone and try out new
6. Be Honest
It is important to tell the truth – people will know when you are not truthful. The worst thing for companies is to be known as a dishonest brand. Using enthusiasm in marketing is to a certain degree permitted, however, do not amplify your story to catch the attention of potential guests. This attention will be short-lived.
7. Know Your Why
It is easy to explain what you do and how you do it. But have you ever thought about why you are doing it and what the purpose of your hotel is? The why is the key to impactful storytelling. Identify what makes your hotel special and craft engaging stories based around your specific why.
In today’s world storytelling is not an option anymore, it is who you are. The stories you tell need to be ingrained in your brand so tightly that it is not possible to separate the two. Do you need help to identify your why and tell your story to the world? Your Worldhotels team can help you, contact email@example.com for more information.
Looking for more posts?
Trending topics in the travel industry: culinary tourism
Over the past travelling has changed tremendously. Discover the latest trends
Top 5 Social Media Mistakes
Is your hotel making these classic social media mistakes? Learn how to avoid it.
How social media can help your hotel thrive.
Social media is transforming the way that hotels communicate with guests and potential curstomers